KEYBOARDS DIRTIER THAN A TOILET!
Some computer keyboards harbour more harmful bacteria than a toilet seat, research has suggested.
Our chemist tests at its London offices found equipment carrying bugs that could cause food poisoning. Out of 33 keyboards swabbed, four were regarded as a potential health hazard and one harboured five times more germs than one of the office’s toilet seats. Microbiologist Dr Peter Wilson said a keyboard was often “a reflection of what is in your nose and in your gut”. During the Which? tests in January this year, a microbiologist deemed one of the office’s keyboards to be so dirty he ordered it to be removed, quarantined and cleaned. It had 150 times the recommended limit for bacteria – five times as filthy as a lavatory seat tested at the same time, the research found.
BEST WAYS IS KEEP CLEAN THEM
If you are unable to use a preventative mechanism like the covers described, then I suggest simple habits like the following, as they seem to work pretty well for me:
- Wash your hands before working with your keyboard — this keeps loose dirt from falling off, mixing with your sweat, and turning into grime. Also, if you use your keyboard for prolonged periods of time, take breaks to simply go wash your hands of naturally occurring oil buildup. If you feel your fingers slightly oily on your keys, go wash your hands.
- Don’t eat or drink over and near your keyboard. This really goes for anything crumbs that can fall off. Most people refuse to do this, and it’s number 1 cause of buildup under your keys.
- Try to touch type with your fingers more raised rather than resting… like how typing teachers always preach. The pecking motion will prevent a lot of the transfer of dirt to your keyboard because it minimizes time and area of contact.
- Keep your hands dry. The raised finger “pecking” mentioned in #3 will improve airflow to your hands and dry them naturally, but you can also use a napkin, shirt sleeves, pant-legs etc to dry your hands.
- If you’re really having trouble, consider wearing some thin gloves while you type or maybe even some coating on your fingertips like elmers white school glue. This sounds a bit too far to me, but some people really hate dirt. I’m not gonna judge you!
HAVE A DIRTY KEYBAORD? USE THE ECOMOIST KEYBOARD CLEANER
The Ecomoist Keyboard and Mouse cleaner has been designed to effectively clean your Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick, Game sole controllers and any other electric devices used with your hands that collects grease, dirt and bacteria. The cleaner removes grease, dirt and kills 99.99% of the germs. It has been formulated to be Hypo-Allergenic and Bio-Degradable.
OUR KEYBOARD CLEANERS